< Return to Pulse Categories
Making a Difference
NOTE: If you are in need of help now, we have provided many resources for you.
One of the best things you can do for yourself is to improve the life of someone else. What you give comes back. This is about realizing the power we all have to create positive change and improving the world around us. There are many ways to make a difference, both big and small. You can volunteer or do community services projects, or you can just be kind and help out a neighbor in need. You are really only limited by your imagination and your desire.
Making a difference does not mean you need to do big things—small acts of kindness can go a long way. check out the videos and articles below to learn more about how to make a difference.
- “Each one of us can make a difference. Together we make change.” - Barbara Milkulski
- “To make a difference in someone’s life you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care.” - Mandy Hale
- “We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in our hands to make a difference.” - Nelson Mandela
- “It’s about making a difference in people’s lives. Remembered or not, lived out in a small town or on the world stage, the journey of relevance matters.” - Marian Deegan
- “One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove….. but the world may be a better place because I made a difference.” - Forest E. Witcraft
Community Service and Volunteering
Creating and Building Communities
SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions)
SADD’s mission is to envision a world in which young people make positive decisions that advance their health and safety. It is accomplished by creating, equipping, and sustaining a network of student-run chapters in schools and communities focused on peer-to-peer education. SADD fosters a sense of belonging and promotes resiliency, leadership, and advocacy skills so that young people make positive life decisions that will carry them throughout life.
Roots and Shoots
The mission of Roots and Shoots is to empower young people to affect positive change in their communities. You can help build a better tomorrow. It starts right here. Right now.